Monday, February 25, 2013

What Two??

The new baby was up on his feet nursing. Mamma was taking good care of him and looked to be in no distress she had already lost her placenta. I had checked her for twins and that she was not bleeding heavily, we were good to go.  I double checked the five ewes that we had left to lamb, they were fine no one was going to lamb over night. Maybe I'd get a little sleep. So we left the barn about 2 to 3 hours after # 10 had her ram lamb.

Mondays the boys have late start, so I figured I'd go over to the Sheep Camp after dropping them off at school. I stopped first at the ram's pen to feed them before heading to the barn.

Eileen, the owners wife pulled in behind me, "I seen your post about our new little lamb, he looks great." she states. "So we have 5 lambs on one side of the barn and 3 on the other side?"

"No," I reply as I am counting in my head each lamb.

"Yes, you do. There is 3 black faced lambs on one side and a lamb in each pen on the other side except for the last pen has two."

"Are you sure? Because that doesn't add up."

We quickly head to the barn to see why we have an extra lamb. I was thinking maybe one of the ewes who were left to lamb, lambed in the night and some how their lamb had gotten into the wrong pen.

BUT! we soon found this was not the case. It turned out # 10 was not finished lambing after all. By the best of my knowledge it looks as though sometime in the wee hours of the following morning she delivered her second lamb. I am glad to report with no obvious problems. Both lambs and mamma are doing great.      
                             SURPRISE!!
SURPRISE!! # 10's Second 2013 ram lamb

Two for the price of one deal
I told you everything was OK and to come on out.
What took you so long?

No comments:

Post a Comment