Saturday, February 9, 2013

Black Bread... Staple living Shepherd Style!

... continuous from "Staple Living the Way of the Shepherd" . I love looking at who is reading my Blog. I  can't really see who is reading it, unless you post a comment (I so encourage you to do so).

But, I can see what country the people who have been reading my post are from. The USA, Germany, Canada, France, Ireland, the UK, Scotland, Russia, and some countries I have never even heard of.
IT IS SO COOL! 

I can also see how many times a certain post has been read, letting me know what interest you. Well the post mention above Staple Living the Way of the Shepherd was read the most this last month. Telling me like myself, many of you are trying to find ways to cut your food budget and/or live on what you have in the cupboard. As promised in that post here is my recipe for Black Bread

Like most of my recipes  they start out from someone else then because I just can not help myself and because I have to use what is on hand (staples). I change them to make them my own. This recipe started out to be a recipe for Russian Black Bread. I love Russian Black Bread but I am not Russian (not the real reason) and I did not have a lot of the ingredients but needed bread (real reason). This is what I came up with and it tasted GREAT!



Ingredients

4 cups uncooked oat meal
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon salt
2 cups corn flakes cereal, crushed
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, crushed
2 teaspoons instant coffee, caffeinated or decaf
2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed very fine
2 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
2 large eggs, wiped
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup molasses
1 ounce semi sweet or unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon corn starch
1/2 cup cold water

Directions

1. Combine in large bowl; flour, oat meal, sugar,salt,corn flakes, sesame seeds, coffee, onion powder, garlic powder, fennel seed, and undissolved yeast.

2. In sauce pan combine milk, vinegar, molasses, chocolate and butter. Heat liquid mixture over low heat until they are very warm (120-130 degrees F), butter and chocolate do not have to melt.

3.Gradually add heated liquid mixture to dry ingredients and beat (with electric mixer) for 2 minutes at medium speed, scarp bowl occasionally. Add wiped eggs, mix till well blended. If mixture is to dry add just enough water to it to form soft sticky dough. Turn dough on to a lightly floured board. Cover with clean towel and let rest for 15 minutes.

4. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10-15 minutes), dough may be sticky. Place dough in greased bowl, turning dough to grease top. Cover bowl with towel and place in a warm, draft free place to rise until double in bulk (about 1 hour).

5. Punch dough down, knead lightly, divide into two balls, place each in a greased bread pan, cover let rise in a warm place until doubles (about 1 hour). Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40-45 minutes, or until done.

6. If you would like, I do not always do this step. Combine cornstarch and cold water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil; continue to cook mixture 1 minute stirring constantly. As soon as the bread is baked, brush cornstarch mixture over the top of each loaf. Return the bread to the oven and bake 2-3 minutes longer, or until glaze is set. Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire racks.

That last step, the one of cooling the bread usually does not happen at our home since everyone knows the best time to eat home made bread is hot out of the oven. YUM, YUM!

Because this bread is basically an all day project, don't think that is all I did. I am a Shepherd I was going back and forth checking sheep and doing chores. Remember I made it originally before lambing season. I would never attempt this recipe during lambing season, but that is OK because this bread freezes well.

Black Bread is a savory bread, great with hearty or light soups, salads, cheeses, with a cup of coffee or tea, or just by it's self. FYI, Instant coffee has been marketed in the USA since 1910. Just thought you would like to know that. Enjoy!  








No comments:

Post a Comment