Friday, February 8, 2013

Lambing has Officially Started at the Sheep Camp

... as most of you know, this post is a contentiousness of the last. But, just in case you were not paying attention let me up date you as to what was going on.

We step back in time, the date, February 1st 2013. OK, OK, it is a tiny step back. Just trying to set the scene people. As most of you remember I left off with finding this when I arrived at the barn.

This is Lily, Jacob's 4-H ewe.
Presenting with her first signs of giving birth.

At this point and time I made a quick call home for my husband to bring me my lambing supplies. Jacob was already at school so he would not be available to help with his lambing. After Don's arrival at the barn we waited and waited and waited some more. He decided to go home, I decided to fuss around the barn doing chores and odd and end things while the birthing continued slowly moving forward.

...ah chores were done, so I decided to, Take PICTURES.
Me, "Lily what is taking so long?"





Lily,"Would you care to take my place Shepherd, if you are in such a hurry?"

"OK, lady get the camera out of my face before 
I go all "Crazy Llama Mamma  on your butt!"
OK, she was getting tired of me watching her and I was getting cold and hungry, Beside I had company coming and needed to put clean sheets on all the beds. So off to home I went knowing I would only be 30 - 40 minutes at the most. Apparently that is all it took. I arrived back at the barn just in time to see her first lamb deliver but it had been born breech and was not a live. Working quickly I prepared to pull the next lamb. If one is born breech there is a strong possibly the second lamb will be breech too. Up on exam my assumption was correct. With all my might and Lily's too, I pulled the second lamb. We delivered a 13 pound bouncing baby ram lamb.

Welcome to the SHEEP CAMP little one, your the first of many to arrive.



Sorry this one is a little blurry. My arms were still shaking from all the pulling, what a work out.

All ready on his feet. That's what we like to see.

Isn't he cute with those ears?


OH, who;s the cute baby lamb? You are, aren't you?
I just love baby lambs, if you couldn't tell. I am so excited and am waiting on pins and needles for the rest to start arriving and join this little guy in the field romping and playing.











No comments:

Post a Comment