Saturday, March 9, 2013

# 1 STILL # 1

Every species has it's own way of competing for the top ranking position. Bulls butt heads over their lady cows. Male dogs pee on everything. Squirrels run around darting here and there to see who can gather the most nuts.  

BUT, I had no idea the ewes had a contest going on to see who could have the biggest lamb.

# 1 was in the process of lambing and having some trouble with it when I came in yesterday to feed. The lambs head was out and I could see by that, this lamb was BIG! ! 1 is one of our smaller ewes so that was not a good sign.

Usually with big lambs if the head is finally out the rest of the lamb follows with ease. I got right in helping her and discovered that the problem was the lambs chest. It was to large to deliver straight. So working carefully I turned the lamb at an angle and worked one shoulder through at a time.

Mom stop with the cleaning, I'm trying to walk here.

DAW-A-DAW! Lamb is delivered and alive.  #1 has delivered after some work a 15 pound ram lamb.

I know, I know you are saying,"Wait a minute Shepherd, # 8 just had a 15 pounder a couple days ago. How does that make # 1 the # 1 ewe?"
Mom look what you did to my hair, how embarrassing 

Simple, it says it right on her back. See right there in orange wool safe, animal safe paint.  
# 1 and her 2013 Spring ram lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment