Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Marriage of Carriers .... one to allow the other.

As a lot of you know growing a business takes time especially if it has any thing to do with farming/ranching. Even more so if the product is unusual for the area you are in. Like ours - market sheep in the middle of dairy cow country.
What is Where?


Excuse Me!!
So I have taken a part time job to bring a little money in on the side for now. This first two to three weeks is training so it is full time, taking up a lot of my time.
 Luckily we only have a few ewes who had not lambed already. Leaving me the capability to mange home life,4-H duties, sheep and job at the same time. I had an ewe who was getting close to lambing so to be able to mange things better, at the end of last week I put her in a lambing pen. This morning when I arrived at the barn two little ewe lambs were standing at her side. Healthy and lively.


I have 2 more older ewes left to lamb and 3 yearly ewes. They are the ones I have to worry about. The chances of having to pull lambs are greater and the fact that they may not know what to do after the lamb is born is higher. It is not always clear to new mothers, sometimes we have to help them out a little, like directing the lamb in what direction it needs to go to find the teat. The older ewes know how to do that them selves. I was not going to breed them till they were 2 years old but the ram got loose and in with them. I was hoping they hadn't taken but no luck there. What is lucky is the fact that they will be the last to lamb and do not look like they are due to lamb for a while yet. I am praying that all my training is done by then. The job I have taken is a Sub-Transit Bus driver, so I am able to say yes or no to jobs allowing me the time I need for 4-H, the sheep and home life.

Back to Bus Driving
I feel pretty lucky in finding a job like that. I love my family, I love being a 4-H leader, and I love working with the sheep and the business of raising sheep and their products. I feel this is a good marriage of carriers.

                            Life is GOOD! 

Some photos copied from internet: Thank you to those I borrowed photos from to express my thoughts on this post.
http://lucdof1.deviantart.com/art/Sheep-and-cow-394617065
http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/genetically-modified-cows-could-fart-less/story-fn5fsgyc-1226311605016
www.blovedweddings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment